Monday, October 20, 2014

Happy Monday, kittens! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. My life is pretty hectic right now - I just got a new job, so I'm trying my best to adjust and keep things as normal as possible. Posts may be a little shorter, but hopefully the content is still great!

I really enjoy making lists, particularly musical ones! I am a DJ at my college radio station, so music is something that is extremely important to me. Musical tastes change constantly, but for me, some albums stayed important. I thought I'd share some thoughts on my favorite albums with you!

This is in no particular order, FYI. It's too hard to pick a distinct favorite!



1) Neutral Milk Hotel, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

I can't say enough about this album. It was one of the first that I listened to when I started to get into music. I grew up reading a lot about Anne Frank, so I think that's part of the reason why I feel so attached to this record (much of it was inspired by her). The wide range of instrumentation, along with the emotional lyrics, really tell a complete story. I was lucky enough to see them reunited - they played my favorite song and I totally teared up! (Naomi, if you wanted to know). Honestly, if you haven't listened to this album, please do. I don't think you'll regret it!

2) Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

I love rap music - I grew up listening to a lot of it. Kanye is my favorite rapper because I think that his lyrical skills paired with his beats/production creates the most magnificent experience. This album is just a perfect marriage of feelings, samples, and catchiness. I listen to this album once a week or so.

3) Helmet Hair, Shazam!, Everything That's Left

This one is a bit obscure - one of my good friends is behind Helmet Hair, Shazam!. He pairs his sweet and sad lyrics with virtuoso guitar playing. If you listen to Owen and his "noodly" guitar, it's very similar to the playing on this album. I listen to this album once a week or every other week - it's THAT good. If you are interested, just comment and I can send you a link :)

4) Owen, At Home With Owen

Mike Kinsella is Owen, and is also a member some of my other favorite bands (Joan of Arc, Cap'n Jazz, American Football). Owen is the solo acoustic project that has garnered him much fame. His lyrics are so sad and poignant, which paired with his guitar and lilting voice makes emotional perfection. This album speaks to me.


5) The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds

What a classic album. You don't have to skip any songs, it's upbeat, and every time I hear it, I hear something new. Brian Wilson was such a genius at layering melodies and creating unique sounds. Pet Sounds is an album that inspired tons of artists, and it's not hard to figure out why.


What are your favorite albums? I love doing lists - I think I'll do some more. Favorite books, songs, and artists. Any suggestions?

Enjoy your Monday <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment